Experimental farms title
Farm “Villarada” - Arezzo
Surface area of 07.25.00 ha, flat, irrigated, ex-arable land. The farm is located in the municipality of Arezzo, near the north-eastern peripheral belt along the SS 67 Umbro-casentinese, inside the CREA property which houses the buildings of the Research Centre for Forestry and Wood of Arezzo. The farm also has two greenhouses for approximately 200 square meters and two climatic cells for plant ecophysiology tests
The farm’s activities
The main activity consists in the conservation of the ex-situ germplasm of prized timber trees. Mainly collections of Juglans regia, Juglans nigra, hybrid subjects between the two species, Prunus avium, and Sorbus torminalis, as pilot subjects for the construction of arboricolture plants from precious wood outside the forest. An area of approximately 1.00.00 ha is occuped by a plant of Pinus halepensis and Pinus brutia of different geographic origin. In recent years a clone plant of Populus spp. for the production of biomass for energy use through the short rotation technique. There is also a parcel of 0.50.00 ha of mycorrhized plants in asssociation between the species Corylus avellana, Carpinus betulus and Sorbus torminalis.
Dr. Paolo Merlini
Tel. +39 0575 353021, Fax +39 0575 353490
V.le S. Margherita 80, 52100 - Arezzo
43.481190 / 11.878303
Dall’aeroporto “A. Vespucci” Firenze si prosegue in treno da stazione FS Firenze S. Maria Novella e/o Autostrada A1 Milano-Napoli uscita casello di Arezzo.
The history of the Center
FORESTRY AND WOOD
The history of the Center
The Centre coordinates the research activities carried out in offices and laboratories located in Arezzo, Casale Monferrato (AL), Trento, Rome and Rende (CS)
Research in Forestry started in 1922 in Florence, with the foundation by Aldo Pavari of the Regia Stazione Sperimentale di Selvicoltura (Royal Forestry Experimental Station), the first Italian research center in this field.
In 1967 the Regia Stazione Sperimentale di Selvicoltura became the Istituto Sperimentale per la Selvicoltura (Forestry Experimental Institute) with headquarters in Arezzo and operational offices in Florence, San Pietro Avellana (Isernia) and Cosenza. In 2007 with the creation of the Council for Research and Experimentation in Agriculture (CRA) it became part of the CRA network of research centers, taking the name ‘Centro di Ricerca per la Selvicoltura’ (Forestry Research Center).
The historical site in Florence was closed and the offices at Isernia (Unità di ricerca per la gestione dei sistemi forestali dell'Appennino) and Cosenza (Unità di ricerca per la selvicoltura in ambiente mediterraneo) become autonomous Research Units (R.Unit for the management of the Apennine forest systems and Research Unit for forestry in the Mediterranean environment, respectively). As a consequence of CREA reorganisation in 2017 the site at Isernia has become an experimental farm while the site at Rende is now a Research Group.
The offices and laboratories at Casale Monferrato, formerly known as the Unità di ricerca per le Produzioni Legnose fuori Foresta (Research Unit for Wood Productions outside Forests), and even before as the ‘Istituto di Sperimentazione per la Pioppicoltura’ (ISP), were built on land owned by Cartiere Burgo and inaugurated on October 1, 1939. Sold in 1952 to the Ente Nazionale Cellulosa e Carta (ENCC) (National Body for Cellulose and Paper) and managed since 1999 by the Agricultural and Forestry Society (SAF), in 2001 they were donated to the Ministry of Agriculture, and from October 1 2004 have been part of CREA together with their branch offices and land in Rome, today an experimental farm (Azienda Ovile).