Navigation Menu

Forestry and Wood

Experimental farms title

Experimental farms

Asset Publisher

null “Ovile” farm - Rome

“Ovile” farm - Rome

The "Ovile" experimental farm is located in the Municipality of Rome (XIII Municipal Authority, Casalotti area) extending on an area of approximately 77 hectares. It is almost entirely included in the "Cellulose Park" Natural Monument established in 2006. There are several buildings (offices, room for small conferences, service buildings), greenhouses, forest nursery, irrigation network. It houses experimental plots of coniferous and broad-leaved trees suitable for the Mediterranean climate (Pinus sp., Cupressus sp., Cedru sp.s, Eucalyptus sp., Prunu sp.s, Juglans sp., Robinia pseudoacacia).

Le attività

Farm's activities

Genetic improvement of forest tree species has been the main research activity for about half a century, in continuity with research started previously by the National Authority for Cellulose and Paper and then by the controlled public company SAF  (Agricultural and Forestry Society). There are comparative tests on provenances, descendants and clones selected for long-term studies, partly carried out with European  or supranational (FAO) partners.

Research on monitoring of forest species growth and climatic trends is carried out, with reference to the urban environment and to pollution, by using instruments and bio-indicators (bees).

Study meetings and demonstration days on forest utilization are organized periodically, as well as guided tours focused on forests for schools and adults. Since 2018, a Forest kindergarten is hosted twice a week for 50 children from a neighborhood preschool. 

Contatti

Dr. Giuseppe Pignatti

Dr. Giuseppe Pignatti

Referente Responsabile

mail giuseppe.pignatti@crea.gov.it

query_builder

lunedì - giovedì: 8:00-14:00 14:30-17:30 venerdì: 8:00-14:00

phone

Tel. + 39 06 6157101 Fax +39 06 1571030

location_onVia Valle della Quistione, 27 – 00166 Roma

GPS coordinates

41.912058 / 12.364143

Come raggiungerci

Dall'autostrada

Grande Raccordo Anulare, uscita n.2 Boccea-Casalotti-Primavalle, con immissione automatica su Via di Boccea; svoltare a sinistra e proseguire per circa 1 km; all'altezza del rifornimento di benzina Q8 svoltare a sinistra su via di Casalotti; dopo circa 1,5 km, in corrispondenza del numero civico 251, immettersi a sinistra su Via Valle della Quistione, che termina al n. 27 con il cancello (verde) dell'azienda.

Dall'aeroporto

Dall’aeroporto di Fiumicino, Grande Raccordo Anulare in direzione Firenze, uscita n.2 Boccea-Casalotti-Primavalle, con immissione su Via di Boccea; proseguire per circa 700 m fino alla prima rotonda dove si uscirà alla seconda uscita; passando altre due rotonde (rispettivamente, uscire alla prima e alla seconda uscita) si prosegue su via di Casalotti; dopo circa 1,5 km, in corrispondenza del numero civico 251, immettersi a sinistra su Via Valle della Quistione, che termina al n. 27 con il cancello (verde) dell'azienda.

Dalla stazione

Dalla stazione di Roma Termini, metro A direzione Battistini fino al capolinea (Battistini); alla fermata Battistini/De Luca (di fronte all’uscita metro) prendere l’autobus n. 146 direzione Mombasiglio e scendere a Trofarello (17 fermate); percorrere a piedi 250 m su via Roccabruna e poi via Tonengo che incrocia Via Valle della Quistione.

The history of the Center

FORESTRY AND WOOD

The history of the Center

The Centre coordinates the research activities carried out in offices and laboratories located in Arezzo, Casale Monferrato (AL), Trento, Rome and Rende (CS) 

Research in Forestry started in 1922 in Florence, with the foundation by Aldo Pavari of the Regia Stazione Sperimentale di Selvicoltura (Royal Forestry Experimental Station), the first Italian research center in this field. 

In 1967 the Regia Stazione Sperimentale di Selvicoltura became the Istituto Sperimentale per la Selvicoltura (Forestry Experimental Institute) with headquarters in Arezzo and operational offices in Florence, San Pietro Avellana (Isernia) and Cosenza. In 2007 with the creation of the Council for Research and Experimentation in Agriculture (CRA) it became part of the CRA network of research centers, taking the name ‘Centro di Ricerca per la Selvicoltura’ (Forestry Research Center). 

The historical site in Florence was closed and the offices at Isernia (Unità di ricerca per la gestione dei sistemi forestali dell'Appennino) and Cosenza (Unità di ricerca per la selvicoltura in ambiente mediterraneo) become autonomous Research Units (R.Unit for the management of the Apennine forest systems and Research Unit for forestry in the Mediterranean environment, respectively). As a consequence of CREA reorganisation in 2017 the site at Isernia has become an experimental farm while the site at Rende is now a Research Group. 

The offices and laboratories at Casale Monferrato, formerly known as the Unità di ricerca per le Produzioni Legnose fuori Foresta (Research Unit for Wood Productions outside Forests), and even before as the ‘Istituto di Sperimentazione per la Pioppicoltura’ (ISP), were built on land owned by Cartiere Burgo and inaugurated on October 1, 1939. Sold in 1952 to the Ente Nazionale Cellulosa e Carta (ENCC) (National Body for Cellulose and Paper) and managed since 1999 by the Agricultural and Forestry Society (SAF), in 2001 they were donated to the Ministry of Agriculture, and from October 1 2004 have been part of CREA together with their branch offices and land in Rome, today an experimental farm (Azienda Ovile).